Choosing a college major is a life-changing decision. You are going to spend a lot of money becoming educated in your chosen field, so you will need to find a good job to make it worthwhile. Here are a few tips for researching and selecting a college major that won’t leave you with regrets after graduation.
- Think about your interests, values, and talents – You need to find something that interests you if you are going to stay engaged and do well, but you also want some degree of aptitude to maximize your chances of success.
- Research how much people can make in your chosen field of work – If there is no work for graduates in your preferred major, you may want to think twice before spending tens of thousands of dollars.
- Find a school with a good program in that major – Selecting your major is only half the battle. Don’t apply to a school that can’t educate you properly in your chosen field of study.
- Make a pros and cons list of each major – Sometimes, a list may help you to compare majors side by side. You may be surprised by which one ends up being the best when you put it on paper logically.
- Don’t be afraid to change your mind – Sometimes you think you know exactly what you want and you get to school and learn otherwise. Don’t feel you are locked into a lifetime career after one semester.
College Counseling Services in Southern California
If you live in the southern California area and are trying to make these difficult decisions during high school, contact College Planning Source today at 858.676.0700. You can also take advantage of our college counseling services by submitting the online contact form.