College admissions officers are going to be looking at your entire student profile to decide if you are a good fit for the institution. While the essay is really important, we want to take some time to discuss other important aspects of your profile. Here are a few things you can do to boost your chances.
- Grades are really important. As you hit high school, your grade in every class, in every quarter, counts.
- Take the right classes. If you and another student are fighting for the same spot and you have similar profiles, having had the tougher curriculum may make the difference.
- Take a prep class for the SAT or ACT. This is especially important if you don’t get the grade you want on your PSAT. Be sure to take that practice exam during your sophomore year, so you have time to prep before you do the real thing.
- Develop your skills as a writer. If you are going to produce the best possible essay, now is the time to start polishing up your ability to write, not while you are working on the essay.
- Get involved in volunteer or community work during each summer. The more extracurriculars you have, the better.
Sign Up for College Counseling Today
College Planning Source offers college counseling services to help you build your profile and make smart decisions during high school that will give you a better shot at getting into the school of your choice. Call us today at 858.676.0700 or submit the online contact form to learn more.