The essay is just one part of a college application, but it is one of the most vital aspects of the process. How can you craft the ultimate essay and secure a spot for yourself at the university you hope to attend? We’ve broken it down into a 5-step process to help make this task a little less daunting.
- Start Now – Sometimes students see the essay as a giant they have to slay, and it leads to procrastination. If you really want to take the pressure off of yourself, start early. This will allow you to develop an essay that is uniquely you without the pressure of having to get it done overnight to hit a deadline.
- Pick a Topic – This can sometimes be tougher than the actual writing part. You may be prompted to write on certain themes, but they are usually so open-ended that you get to exercise your creative juices. Remember, you can’t fit your entire life into a 750-word essay, but you can still tell the college a lot about who you are. Tell a story that gives some insights into who you are and what you believe.
- Write It – Remember that no one will see the first draft except for you, so just sit down and write it out in one complete sitting. You’ll have plenty of time to go over it and get everything just right.
- Editing – You’re going to have to learn to self-edit. You can only write so much, no matter how much there is to your story. Keep editing and rewriting until your essay is you on a page (aren’t you glad you started early?).
- Submit the Essay – You did it! Now be sure your carefully crafted essay meets all of the college’s guidelines and is submitted properly.
Your Source for College Applications Support in Southern California
College Planning Source is proud to be supporting families as they send children to college. College applications support is just one of the services that we offer. To learn more, call us today at 858.676.0700 or submit the form on our contact page.