Hello Class of 2018!
The 2017-2018 application cycle will soon be upon us! Here are some changes that will be made to commonly used applications of California Students.:
- The new Personal Insight (essay) questions: the questions were chosen evenly during the 2016-2017 application cycle (no certain questions were answered more often than others)
- For the 2017-2018 cycle, the wording may be tweaked, but Personal Insight questions should stay the same
- There will be a new CSU application! What used to be “CSU Mentor” will now be “Cal State Apply”
- The date the application opens for Fall 2018 will be the same: October 1, 2017
- The High School Planner is now through californiacolleges.edu – if students enter their courses and grades in the Planner throughout high school, it will link to Cal State Apply and auto-fill the coursework section of the application
- Coursework will now be entered by term rather than A-G academic subject
- When coursework is entered, the GPA will calculate automatically (rather than having to calculate it yourself, as was needed in the past – yay!)
- Standardized test scores will now be shared with all CSU campuses (when you send official scores to one CSU campus via College Board/ACT, they will be shared with all campuses to which the student applies)
Common Application Updates
- New essay prompts: https://www.commonapp.org/whats-appening/application-updates/common-application-announces-2017-2018-essay-prompts
- The word limit on the essay will remain at 650 words
Just a heads up!
~ College Planning Source